Friday, October 11, 2013

Present day happenings

September was chock full of tournaments! First weekend were the Spanish Championships for the second division, a tournament hosted by my team, Quijotes + Dulcineas, here in Madrid.






Reca and I helping set up for the tournament
 (Photo credit to Herm)




It being second division, Sancho, the ‘B’ team of the Quijotes, played in the tourney. I played as a tyro (a player already signed up for different championship tournament, a team can only have two) for this second division tourney. It was a great weekend and Sancho really came together. We came in 8th position, out of 14 teams.


The following weekend was Madunina, a tournament just outside of Milan, Italy. We played with a slightly short team, almost playing savage.





We finished in 3rd place out of 16 teams!






...and won best costume! 







For obvious reasons...









Before leaving Milan, Herm and I decided to stay for an extra day to check out the city.





Some stylish Milanese police.




















Herm gave me a photography lesson and these were my attempts. 




Last, but certainly not least, were the 1st division Spanish Championships in Sevilla. We hopped on the AVE on the Friday and two days, and six 90-minute games later.... WE WON!! Quijotes + Dulcineas are the 2012 Spanish Mixed Champs!
I ended the weekend with somewhat of a bum knee but it was an amazing tournament full of intense games and some awesome play by the Quijotes.

 Photo credit: Left, to Justin and right, to Frisbillanas del Universo, the tournament hosts

Check out some game tape from the tournament!

Ultimate was not the only thing I did throughout September, it also marked my first month in my new apartment!

The move (which actually took place last June...) 

After searching online and going to a ton of apartment visits I finally found the perfect place. 

Moving via public transportation in a big city is usually a drag...but luckily Reca helped me out! Despite the help we still ran into a bit of an issue with the old elevator in my building...read Reca's post for all the details. 

I now live in Ă“pera which is a great location since it involves only one metro stop to Principe Pio, where I take the bus to work everyday. The rent is much better than my last apartment and the place has much more character! 




The door to my new apartment!






Soon after moving in I decided to paint my room and Reca was on board to help. It was a tough decision but I had narrowed it down to yellow and navy, or green and navy... On our way to the paint store I found my inspiration!






My inspiration.






And so green it was. 
Sequence of events...



I also added some blue. 






Reca all tuckered out from painting. 














The last weekend of September Reca and I participated in Madrid Corre por Madrid, 10k run through the streets of Madrid.

Reca and I carbo-loaded the night before and woke up early to get to the start line in Retiro park. I finished in an hour and 3 minutes, not bad for having a bit of a bum knee. Check out the link to see my finish, on the right side, (rather hard to spot...), 1:03:25 on the live digital timer.

A sweet month ended on somewhat of a bitter note as the morning after the run Rebe, unbeknownst to her parents, returned to the United States.



No comments:

Post a Comment